Gallup Sun

Saturday, Jul 11th

Last update11:44:36 AM GMT

You are here: News Public Safety WEEKLY DWI REPORT


E-mail Print PDF

Hyram Ducan

Dec. 10, 6 pm

6th DWI

Some people never learn. Ducan is one of those people. This sixth time around, he rear-ended the back of a black Jeep Patriot with his silver GMC pickup truck on State Road 264, near the Sagebrush bar. From there, he allegedly fled the scene and winded up at the airport, getting into a fight with someone.

MCSO Deputy Arnold Noriega arrived on the scene and began questioning Ducan and learned of his revoked license. He then asked if he was willing to take the field sobriety test, which he agreed to, but, he told Noriega that he would not pass it because he was “all buzzed out.”

Ducan, 42, was transported to a local hospital for a blood draw to determine his blood alcohol content, and was also admitted to the hospital’s intensive care unit for unknown medical reasons.

Owen J. Jackson

Dec. 8, 11: 31 pm

2nd DWI, Aggravated

Jackson, 37, must not have really wanted that second DWI. When GPD Officer Luke Martin pulled him over on Lincoln Avenue near Carver Street for not having “one operational front headlamp” Jackson jumped out of the car and was reportedly staring at Martin. When Martin told him to get back in the vehicle, he took off running west on Lincoln.

Another officer helped to quickly apprehend Jackson. When asked why he ran, he stated, according to the police report, that he was “paranoid.” He admitted to having three, 12-ounce Bud Light beers. Jackson also had an active warrant for his arrest. Jackson refused all tests.

Tyler J. Martinez

Dec. 6, 2:07 pm

Aggravated DWI

Martinez had no business driving, but still decided to get behind the wheel and cause a fender bender. His answers to Officer Dewayne Holder seemed flippant, according to the officer’s case report. Holder asked Martinez, 22, where the accident occurred and he said, “I don’t know.”

When Holder asked Martinez what happened, he replied, “Ran the stop sign I guess.” He failed the field sobriety tests and when he took the breath tests he blew a .21 each time.

Herbert Kaye

Dec. 5, 11:43 pm

Aggravated DWI

Kaye, 55, was behaving badly after being pulled over by Deputy Merle Bates. He didn’t want to walk and he refused to take the usual tests. He was taken to a local hospital for a blood draw to determine his blood alcohol content, but refused once he arrived, angering the nurse with his drunken and disorderly behavior.

Jason Howe

Dec. 5, 12:53 am

2nd DWI, Aggravated

Howe was pulled over by Officer Martin on suspicion of DWI and upon engaging with Howe, he could smell the booze wafting from the vehicle and noted his slow, deliberate moves.  Howe, 33, told Luke that he was heading to the Colonial Motel. He readily admitted to drinking some beers at the Shalimar that evening.

Howe refused to take the field sobriety tests and the two mandated breath tests. He was booked for an aggravated DWI.

Virgil Bahe

Dec. 3, 10:53 pm

6th DWI, Aggravated

Bahe is another serial DWI offender, who can’t seem to learn that it doesn’t pay to drink and drive. This go around he managed to park his vehicle to where its bumper was rested against another vehicle near the Taco Bell east location on east Aztec Avenue.

Bahe and his passenger were fast asleep with the vehicle still in drive. According to Officer Martin’s case report, Bahe “appeared highly intoxicated” and had multiple beer cans scattered throughout the vehicle. He refused to take the field sobriety tests.

When Martin found a prescription bottle of Tramadol with the name of a woman on the label, Bahe, 50, was asked if he would take the breath test, and he reportedly said “f-ck you” to the officer. Martin had no problem securing a search warrant for a blood draw. Those results are pending.